Stay Safe this winter – Think Fall Prevention
Anyone can have a fall, but older people are more vulnerable and likely to fall, especially if they have a long-term health condition.
Falls are a common, but often overlooked, cause of injury. Around 1 in 3 adults over 65 who live at home will have at least one fall a year, and about half of these will have more frequent falls.
Most falls do not result in serious injury. But there's always a risk that a fall could lead to broken bones, and it can cause the person to lose confidence, become withdrawn, and feel as if they have lost their independence.
We are also heading towards the cold winter months and difficult weather conditions – slippery paths and icy conditions. So, you need to consider a fall prevention strategy for the months ahead and stay safe.
Here are Repton Medical's Top 7 suggestions for preventing falls in the elderly during the Winter months and staying safe.
- Plan ahead. When possible, plan trips around the weather. If you do not need to go out, don’t go out. Wait for the weather and travel conditions to become clear.
- Allow enough time to get where you are going. The chances of falling increase when you rush and use less caution.
- Exercise caution when getting into and out of vehicles and your home. Always hold securely to a door or another person.
Take the path of least resistance. Look for the safest route to your location, including the paths into buildings. Choose alternate routes when necessary.
- Ask for help. Ask someone to help you navigate slippery or unsafe paths.
- Wear the right clothes - warm and dry . Wear gloves if necessary , to keep hands free for stabilization and balance.
- Wear appropriate footwear inside and outside. Consider slipper’s and sock’s thread and gripper protection. Extra protection can be worn. Wear shoes or boots with rough-textured soles that provide good grip in all kinds of weather conditions.
- Keep Warm and dry at all times. Look after yourself and help protect your heat.
Repton Medical have an amazing range of products to help and prevent falls in the home.
Visit our website today.